Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve Bird Spotting

Today I spotted a small flying bird backlit by the sun. The wings were definitely red. It landed high up in a tree and I didn't recognize it's call.

Then an hour later I spotted a robin in the yard. I've never seen a robin out here, and certainly wouldn't expect one in the cold of winter. I could be wrong, but it had a red breast and dark wings.

A friend left us a bale of straw on Sunday. On Monday the guinea fowl were all over it. They kept sitting on it while pecking and scratching it to pieces. By afternoon, it was clear they just weren't going to leave it alone so I had to stack stuff on top of it. I don't know if they were after insects or seeds but they were making a terrible mess of it.

Last week a cold snap dumped snow on the hills. Now it is warm again in the days but cold at night.

The snow hasn't reached our yard yet. Does this count as a white Christmas or not?


No comments:

Post a Comment