Friday, November 22, 2013

Pinecone, Peanut Butter and Birdseed

This rainy morning I was delighted to see the birds had taken to my new peanut butter pinecone. I saw a mockingbird hovering next to it.  It flies up, pecks once or twice, then lands. Then repeat. About ten birds had gathered on the ground waiting to eat whatever fell off, like a pinata. A bit later I would see a sparrow sit on top of it. But the seeds on top are already gone, so it's tricky to get to the peanut butter section.

I realized the quail weren't going to get any so I stood on the porch and threw some stale tortilla pieces on the ground for them to eat. I was wearing my fuzzy warm socks. I looked down and the cat has slipped out somehow and was standing on the porch mat. So I had to step on the soggy thing to get the cat back in and my socks got all cold and squishy. Yuck! So once we were back inside, I had to change socks. By the time I got back the quail were snatching up their tortillas and making a quick escape back into the bushes. I'm almost out of birdseed so I'm glad I had old bread. The bird feeding book says go ahead and give them bread, so I don't feel bad about it anymore.

I'm also saving up bacon grease layered with cornmeal for their next treat. And I got a salt brick to put out for them as soon as it stops raining.

Holding the peanut butter pinecone the day I hung it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment