Saturday, November 16, 2013

First Post From a Bird Enthusiast in the Mojave Desert

Bird watching has always fascinated me and now that I live in the country I have the opportunity to turn my yard into a bird sanctuary. The yard came supplied with both wild and domestic birds. But I can plant things birds like and put out food and suet and salt for them to attract even more.

We've been here a year and I've seen quail, ravens, hawks, turkey vultures, woodpeckers, scrub jays, roadrunners, cactus wrens and a myriad of tweety birds and hummingbirds.

We also put out wild bird seed, bread, fruit, and leftover vegetables and they love it all.
I have seen others attacked for feeding bread to birds, but I checked out a copy of the Backyard Bird Feeder's Bible by Sally Roth and she lists all types of breads, some that are baked specifically for birds, and even recommends feeding them cake. So I shall continue feeding them bread leftovers, only now without the guilt. It would be different if it was their only diet, but they eat seeds from many sources out here.

This year the Joshua Trees bloomed. Eventually the fruit dries and large black seeds are plentiful. The chipmunks love them. I'll have to be more observant to see if the birds eat them as well.

I got a lot of ideas from the book, and will now be pouring bacon drippings into empty tuna cans and putting those out as well. With winter coming, I'm looking forward to many feathered friends as well as chipmunks and rabbits.

Ravens love to sit in the giant cottonwood trees.

Sunset in Lucerne Valley

Guinea Fowl visiting from next door

No comments:

Post a Comment